What is a label printer and what you need to know?
Responding to various labeling needs, label printers are used to produce barcodes as well as photos, pictograms, logos, descriptions, etc. By configuring the machine according to his expectations, the specifics of his activity and his requirements, the user obtains in two clicks a recognizable and referenced product from production to sale. This investment will allow it to produce its own labels internally without having to resort to external service providers and thus to fully control or even reduce the budget.
Customizable at will, the items collected at the end of the print run may vary according to the format (A3, A4, etc.), the material (paper, tear-proof plastic, reinforced adhesive, cardboard, plastic, coupons or self-adhesive labels, approved films, etc.), the method, resolution and print speed with which they are developed, etc. The printing machine also has various parameters that change from one model to another such as power supply, display, memory capacity, appropriate software, printer language, weight, dimensions, etc.
The different types of label printers
Today, there is a large panel of label printers on the market, making it possible to target a large clientele with very specific requirements, including:
- Compact Label Printer: Easy to use, the compact label printer essentially stands out for its reduced size (Ideal for small logistics spaces such as warehouses) while offering many features such as die-cutting or peeling, Bluetooth connection, economic mode or memory. Some of them can in particular be thermal transfer, inkjet, RFID laser.
- Industrial Label Printer: Highly appreciated by SMEs acting for the industrial, warehousing and distribution sectors, this model adapts to increased to intensive use with high printing speed. Resistant to harsh and restrictive environments, the color or black and white label printer lasts over time without any deterioration in quality or performance.
- Thermal and Thermal Transfer Label Printer: Able to edit and produce durable labels in a short period of time, this variant of printers is the most requested in logistics, industry, food and administration. Ideal for marking all kinds of information essential for flexible packaging (bar codes, logos, texts, expiration dates or also batch numbers), this thermal transfer printing method guarantees safe operations for users with a wide variety of media (paper, synthetic or textile labels and packaging films) and high operating speed, fully in line with the most important production or packaging lines.
- Portable label printer: Most of them are equipped with a digital, touch screen and/or smart screen for some, portable label printers are recommended for printing Chinese / English numbers or single numbers, QR codes, bar codes, etc. images, dates, matrix or solid words, serial numbers, etc. with great ease of use thanks to the wireless feature and operation based on a large capacity battery. As practical as it is efficient, this model is therefore ideal for managing both inventory and in-store customer service.
- Inkjet printers: With an implementation based on the projection of tiny droplets of liquid ink on the support whatever its nature, this type of label printer ensures a clear quality of rendering, in particular by opting for pigment inks that combine high resistance to water and UV. Whether it is for unit printing or in medium series, the inkjet printer creates renderings with two or more colors (four for most models).
Choose your label printer, yes, but according to what criteria?
Before purchasing a label printer, it is imperative to consider various factors. The first which comes into play is that of the size: Presetting in advance the minimum and maximum dimensions of the labels to be produced will undoubtedly define the printing width of the device. The type of label printers for businesses changes mainly with respect to the nature of its application. The format of the labels thus depends on the sector of activity and consequently on the size of the products.
In the second place comes the choice of the printing resolution which is made according to the contents of the labels to be developed, the clarity of the images, diagrams, or texts required. For example, the fields of cosmetics and pharmacy require a good resolution ranging from 300 to 600 dpi for any mention in small characters. To decide on a model of a professional label printer, it is also essential to check the printing speed, it goes without saying that this is directly related to production, delivery times, etc. This is why setting the number of labels to be produced per day is essential, most often with “mm / sec” as the unit.
As the last step, it is strongly recommended to establish a comparison of label printers: From use to the location dedicated to it (Relative to its size) through the type of suitable media, the technology of impression is also very important in making the final decision.
PS: Advice from our pros: Do not neglect the options offered for each model of industrial label printer: the more there are, the more your investment will last over time, will be versatile, and will adapt to any change that will occur. your activity. Some brands present for sale machines with interactive screens, Bluetooth, or even Wi-Fi label printers, etc. Consider it according to the specifics of your needs, you will have clearer ideas to make your choice.